Don’t have time to get a 2 hour workout in everyday? Us either. Luckily, there are many small things you can do to help you stay active throughout your busy schedule. Staying active, even on a small scale, can keep you healthier and happier. It may help increase your sleep quality, and lower your chances of many different health issues, such as colon cancer, or a stroke.
- Take the stairs. Climbing a few floors of stairs a day instead of taking an elevator can add hundreds of steps to your day and it usually takes about the same amount of time an elevator ride would. Especially in the morning on your way to work, some movement will wake your brain up and improve your ability to focus throughout the day.
- Park farther away. Don’t have time to go to the gym between errands? Parking far away will also help burn a few extra calories without interrupting your busy schedule.
- Keep moving at work. Taking short 10-15 minute breaks from your seat every hour or so to walk around or stretch will not only help your body stay active and improve your posture, but it will also clear your mind, making it much easier to focus and be efficient throughout the day.
- Use your lunch breaks wisely– walk to and from a restaurant, save time for a quick walk or jog afterwards, or use some of your break to get a 15-30 minute workout in.
- Try a standing desk to encourage movement and improve your posture.
- Offer to make the coffee runs rather than having someone bring the coffee to you. This will get you out of your seat for a break, giving your mind relief from focusing on work, and focusing on something else.
- Clean your house. Vacuuming, window washing, dusting, organizing, doing the dishes, and more, can all be an easy way to be active throughout the day while getting the chores done at the same time. Crank up some music to get you dancing for a higher intensity workout.
- Plan your evenings. Are you in a bad habit of coming home from work and plopping down in front of the TV? Make a plan for your evening such as: making dinner, take the dog to the park, coffee with a friend, etc., before you get home. This will keep you from sitting on the couch the rest of the evening. Netflix can wait.
There are many ways you can live an active and healthy lifestyle- even with a busy schedule. For more ideas,
talk to your physician about what works for you.